CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Executive Mentor Meeting: Overall

The Executive Mentoring Program at Loyola offers a wide variety of information to Business students. The program helps give students the insight into life after college, the careers available. It also helps students build their skills like time management, finances and more. The program also helps develop connections for summer internships or later jobs. The mentors bring their groups to local companies to show how those companies do business (my mentor brought our group to Standard Coffee).

The experience that made the biggest impact on me was the meeting that was held at Standard Coffee. There was a retired Saints player who spoke about how he got through his first interview when he was thirty years old! There were two groups that got together for this meeting, Mr. Gueniot and our group and Ms. Taro Bello with her group. Our mentors talked about how different companies handled Hurricane Katrina. I left this meeting feeling more knowledgeable on Business information.

I do not feel that my expectations changed much from when I came into the program because I did not know what I was getting into. Having had this experience I gained a lot of appreciation for being able to have this experience. Only a handful of schools have programs like this and I feel very lucky to be able to be in a school that provides this program.

I would definitely recommend that other students find a program like this one. I would tell whoever is looking for an executive mentor to find one that is interested in similar things or offers opportunities in the field you want to go in to.

I'm really excited about the next semester and beyond at Loyola. I have learned so much during this semester through my class and the mentoring program. I look forward to new experiences with my mentoring group and new opportunities and projects for my business class.

If you are wanting to keep track of business new going on over the holiday break I would recommend Business Week and NY Times. Those are both of the sources I use. I did not realize how helpful Business Week was until I started reading it for class this semester.

I'm really excited about next semester and I look forward to blogging more. I had never heard of a class offering blogging as a form of homework, but I'm really glad Loyola's College of Business offers this. It offers me a somewhat informal type of homework and can help with future employment and internships.

0 comments: