CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

CareerBeam Values and Vision

My Vision Statement:


My vision is that in four years I will graduate from Loyola with a management degree. After that I want to go to The Natural Gourmet School in NYC. To afford going there, I'm hoping to work at the school over the course of the program.

After my schooling I'll open my own vegan restaurant, I will get there by working at other similar restaurants until I can afford my own. This may be 4-5 years after I get out of culinary school. I'll run the business of the restaurant and help out in the kitchen and also help with customers.

The benefits of writing a vision statement were that I got a clearer connection with the major I'm taking and where I'm heading, I just became clearer with what I'm doing. I also had been worried about what I was going to do to pay for the Culinary School since I will already owe so much for the loans I already have. But as I was writing this assignment, I asked one of my other teachers Ms. Alyson and she came up with the idea of working at the school, which has made me feel more confident about what I'm doing.

I didn't think there would be many challenges to writing a vision statement but I was mistaken. By writing this I had to look deep inside myself and explain why I wanted to do what I'm doing. Which made me second guess myself, and to tell you the truth I still am. I want to do something that changed how the animals are being treated in factory farms and people's view on them. And the easiest thing I could think of was offering more animal-friendly food choices, but maybe I can do more. So I'm still thinking about it now. College is about finding yourself, right?





Values:

I did the value assessment on the career success page and found that my set of values were humanitarian, here is their definition:

Values: The Humanitarian Set :


  • If your value type is Humanitarian, you are motivated by an environment that improves the lives of others, allowing you to be kind, sympathetic, warm and giving.

  • This set values charity, unselfishness and the freedom of others and is apt to offer aid and assistance to others as well as understanding.

  • The humanitarian set contributes to another's well-being. Acting for materialistic gain without first considering the consequences on other people is against your nature.

The value that is most important to me was probably charity, I feel that we can all afford to give to somebody else. We live in a world of innovations and throw-away things, if we look at what other people have and what we throw away daily, it's amazing! I try to slow down sometimes and figure out what I really need, look at the real cost of things.

On a daily basis I try to express my values as best as I can by being true to myself, I try to look at everyone's view on things, be fair and I try to learn as much as I can so I don't have a biased look on things.

The company that matches with my values and my vision most is Spiral Diner and Cafe. It's a vegan restaurant and bakery in Texas. This is their mission statement:

Spiral Diner & Bakery is a 100% vegan and mostly organic restaurant in the middle of “Cowtown” (Ft. Worth). In addition to always serving delicious vegan meals that appeal to both herbivores and carnivores, Spiral Diner pledges to:


  • Use only cruelty-free and environmentally friendly biodegradable cleaning products
    Only purchase recycled and un-bleached paper products (with the highest post-consumer content available)

  • Always buy Certified Organic ingredients whenever possible with conventional only as a last resort

  • Use environmentally friendly, biodegradable take-away containers and disposable cutlery (we also encourage our customers to bring their own reusable containers with them to help us reduce packaging waste)

  • Recycle 100% of all the accepted materials that come through our kitchen

  • Donate a portion of profit to local grassroots organizations that are fighting for human, animal, and environmental causes

  • Reduce waste by purchasing in bulk as much as possible and donating excess food to local food banks and shelters

  • Never compromise on the above principles

A word on our prices:
Spiral Diner's prices are set as low as they can possibly go. Our goal is not to make tons of profit; it is to provide the community with tasty vegan food at a reasonable cost. Our goal is also to pay everyone working at Spiral a decent wage. We will never charge more than we absolutely have to in order to pay the bills.
So when you eat at Spiral you know you are getting high quality food from happy employees.
Additionally, we will continually to adjust our prices to reflect food costs. As organic ingredients go down in price we adjust our menu prices accordingly. The more in demand organics become, the lower the price.

I would love to work for a company like this, they think about other people first, they aren't in the business to make billions and take over the world, just serve good food and offer compassionate food choices. I feel like this is how things should be, doing what you want without harming other things. I would feel very comfortable and confident working somewhere like that.

0 comments: